Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
simple to make
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- Dissolve coffee powder in the 1/2 cup hot water.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl to blend.
- Bring milk to a low boil in saucepot on stove.
- Gradually whisk in milk into the yolks mixture, to temper.
- Return to saucepot and whisk in the dissolved coffee mixture.
- Stir over medium heat until custard thickens slightly and leaves path or a ribbon mark against the back of a spoon.
- This should take about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and refrigerate until cold, or over night covered.
- Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturers direcions.
- Transfer to a covered container and place in the freezer.