Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
You will be proud to serve this luscious and light sponge cake.
Make and share this Coffee Almond Slice recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 ounces sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces flour, self rising
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 ounces ground almonds
- 2 drops almond extract
- 1 tablespoon water
Cream and Decoration
- 1 ounce chocolate
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tbs hot water
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces chocolate vermicelli (sprinkles)
- Grease and line a 7x11 inch pan with waxed or parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Put all the sponge ingredients in a bowl, mix and beat until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes untilfirm to the touch.
- Turn out, remove paper and cool.
- Melt the chocolate until runny and keep warm.
- Whisk the cream with the dissolved coffee and icing sugar until it form soft peaks.
- Trim the edges of the cake and cut into three even size pieces.
- Spread a layer of cream on one piece, top with a 2nd layer and spread with more cream. Top with the final layer.
- Spread the sides with cream and coat with the chocolate sprinkles (optional).
- Spread the remaining cream on the top.
- Spoon the chocolate into a piping bag with a fine nozzle (or just use a drizzle spoon) and pipe straight lines along the length of the cake.
- With the point of a knife, draw lines back and forth creating a chevron effect.
- Chill for at least 1 hour and serve.