Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
You will be proud to serve this luscious and light sponge cake.
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 ounces sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces flour, self rising
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 ounces ground almonds
- 2 drops almond extract
- 1 tablespoon water
Cream and Decoration
- 1 ounce chocolate
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tbs hot water
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces chocolate vermicelli (sprinkles)
- Grease and line a 7x11 inch pan with waxed or parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Put all the sponge ingredients in a bowl, mix and beat until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes untilfirm to the touch.
- Turn out, remove paper and cool.
- Melt the chocolate until runny and keep warm.
- Whisk the cream with the dissolved coffee and icing sugar until it form soft peaks.
- Trim the edges of the cake and cut into three even size pieces.
- Spread a layer of cream on one piece, top with a 2nd layer and spread with more cream. Top with the final layer.
- Spread the sides with cream and coat with the chocolate sprinkles (optional).
- Spread the remaining cream on the top.
- Spoon the chocolate into a piping bag with a fine nozzle (or just use a drizzle spoon) and pipe straight lines along the length of the cake.
- With the point of a knife, draw lines back and forth creating a chevron effect.
- Chill for at least 1 hour and serve.