Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
Mark Bittman, How to cook Fish Alternate fish: catfish; grouper;haddock; pollock.
- 2 cod fish fillets, 1 lb
- flour (for dredging)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 3 scallions (about 1/4 cup) or 3 shallots, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. (not broil).
- Heat a 10-inch pan on med-high.
- Dredge the top side of the cod with flour.
- Add olive oil to the pan and heat until a pinch of flour sizzles when dropped in pan.
- Cook the Cod, flour side down, until brown about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn it and season with salt & pepper.
- Add garlic, wine, parsley and scallions.
- Immediately put the pan in oven and bake until cod is done. about 5-7 mins.
- When the cod begins to "gape" (its sections separate).
- When its done it is opaque throughout and will offer no resistance to a thin-bladed knife; avoid overcooking.