Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
chewy, yummy cookies
- 2 2⁄3 cups flaked coconut
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 ounces chocolate-flavored candy coating, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup seedless raspberry jam or 1⁄4 cup preserves
- Preheat oven to 325. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Stir together coconut, sugar, flour and salt. Stir in egg whites and almond extract. Drop coconut mixture by teaspoons 1 inch apart onto prepared cookie sheets, making 3/4 to 1 inch mounds. Lightly flour your thumb and press into the center of each mound to make an indentation.
- Bake in preheated oven about 20 minutes or until edges are golden. If necessary, use the rounded side of a teaspoon to press indentations again. Cool cookies completely on cookie sheets. Carefully remove cookies from cookie sheets.
- In a heavy sauce pan, heat and stir candy coating over low heat until melted. Carefully dip the bottom of each cooled cookie into the melted candy coating, letting excess drip off. Place cookies, candy coating sides up, on parchment paper; let stand 30 minutes or until candy coating sets.
- Fill cookies, just before serving, spoon about 1/4 t. of the jam into the indentation in each cookie.
- To store: Layer unfilled cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies, if frozen, fill as directed.