Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
Coconut with a chocolate crust. Yummy. Cooking time includes cooling time too.
Make and share this Coconut Meringue Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 keebler ready crust chocolate wafer pie crust
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
- Brush bottom and sides of crust with 1 egg yolk. Place on baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar and flour. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Gradually stir about half of hot mixture into remaining egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil gently for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat; stir in coconut, butter and vanilla. Keep warm.
- In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on high speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Pour filling into crust.
- Spread meringue over warm filling, carefully sealing to edges of crust. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake on baking sheet at 350 for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or until set. Store in refrigerator.