Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe at Serious Eats http://bit.ly/eHmwaT Do not make the mistake of substituting cream of coconut for the coconut milk! Frozen mango can be substituted; thaw it completely first. Be sure the rice is completely cool before folding in the whipped cream; if not, the whipped cream will collapse back into liquid.
- 1419.54 ml water
- 473.18 ml arborio rice
- 2.46 ml table salt
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 411.06 g can unsweetened coconut milk
- 236.59 ml heavy cream, chilled
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Bring water to a boil. Add rice and salt and simmer over medium heat until creamy, 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1 1/2 c sugar and coconut milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and mixture is thick, 15 minutes more. Spread rice on a large baking dish or rimmed cookie sheet until completely cooled, 30-40 minutes.
- In a cold bowl, combine cream, sugar and vanilla. Whip until soft peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream and mango into rice pudding. Serve chilled.