Recipe by Sweet PQ?
This tart reminds of a tropical vacation. The lime and coconut flavours play off one another in this creamy, refreshing tart. From Canadian Living magazine. NOTE: Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 11 shortbread cookies (about 6 oz)
- 3⁄4 cup coconut, sweetened and shredded
- 1⁄4 butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup coconut syrup (creamy)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime rind, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 lime slices, thin
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush cookies in a food processor. Add the coconut and butter, pulsing until mositened. Press into a 9" tart pan with removable bottom (I just use my springform pan).
- Bake @ 350* oven, until crust is golden and firm. This should take about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk milk, sugar and cornstarch together in a heavy saucepan.
- Whisk in the cream of coconut syrup and lime rind.
- Bring to simmer over medium heat and stir constantly. Simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolk. Whisk in the hot milk mixture, then pour back in pan and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Stir in the lime juice and coconut extract.
- Pour into bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold - about 2 hours.
- Whisk the filling to loosen. In a separate bowl, whip the cream, then fold it into the filling. Scrape into crust and smooth top.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Whip cream. Pipe or spoon 6-8 rosettes around edge of tart.
- Cut each lime slice into quarters and place one in each cream rosette.