I made this one day by accident for lack of a curry paste. I was forced to create my own and it has become a favorite in my household.
- Season tilapia fillets with salt, chile powder, and black pepper. Set aside.
- In iron pot, heat olive oil; add curry powder stirring often. Allow curry powder to practically burn. Add a little water whenever paste becomes too sticky.
- Add most garlic and onions until well coated.
- Add coconut milk. Stir. After 1 minute, add fish and remaining garlic and onions.
- Lower heat and cover for about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Serve over jasmine or coconut rice.
I had some talapia staring at me out of the freezer so began a search for a recipe. I adore curry in all forms, especially in Thai type recipes. I added strips of red pepper with the onion, which not only added another element of flavor but made the dish pretty. I served this over brown rice. I loved the flavor overall but I added way to much red pepper flakes. I like my heat, but it overwhelmed the other flavors. Next time I'm going to back off on the flakes, and garnish with fresh basil. I'm also curious to see how this will go with other types of fish. This is a fun recipe, easy, and open to variables.
I'll be honest with you, I'm not a big fish fan so this review is based on my husband's reaction. He really liked it. He went back for seconds. I did enjoy the sauce. I did add the red pepper flakes because we like spicy food. We paired it with the rice. Thanks for the recipe.
Superb! What a fabulous dish served with Thai Coconut-Mango Sticky Rice :)