Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My new favorite desserts are bread puddings made with croissants. Not low fat but rich and satisfying. As with any bread pudding, the mixture can sit up to 24 hours before baking.
- 6 plain croissants, preferably day old
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Cut croissant into 1-inch cubes and spread along the bottom of a greased 9 inch square baking pan.
- Mix eggs, light cream, coconut milk, sugar and water until well combined.
- Pour custard mixture over bread cubes. Let sit for 15 minutes to 24 hours.
- Top with shredded coconut and macadamia nuts. Bake for 60 to 75 minutes.
Lovely light version of bread & butter pud! So nice to know what to do with stale croissants! Plenty sweet enough, and I didn't use the whole amount of sugar. Gorgeous recipe!
I'm writing this at the same time as I'm eating the pudding - and it tastes great! I agree that it might not be sweet enough for some, but it all depends on how much sweetness you like, I guess. To me it's perfect. And the aroma is wonderful, too. I don't have macadamia so I used almond instead - it turned out fine, but I believe it would be much better w/ macadamia.
I had never used croissants in bread pudding before so this was different for me. I like it but I used unsweetened coconut and I think perhaps I should have used sweetened. as it seemed like it needed just a touch more sweet too it.