I’m not very good at making cakes so whenever I needed to bring a plate of sweets to a morning or afternoon tea, I would make these. They are so easy to make. My daughter helps me rolled the coconut on the balls. Enjoy.
- 250 g plain sweet biscuits (I use Arnotts Marie biscuits)
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut, fine
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 340 g condensed milk (I prefer Nestle Sweetened Condensed Milk)
- 3⁄4 cup of fine desiccated coconut
- Crush the biscuits in a food processor until it is fine (like flour).
- Combine in a large bowl, the crush biscuits, 1/2 cup of fine desiccated coconuts and 2 tablespoons of cocoa. Mix the ingredients well.
- Then slowly stir in the sweetened condensed milk into the mixture. (Don’t pour the whole content of the can, pour it in slowly as you only may need 340 grams of the can).
- You know you have the mixture right if the mixture is a dough ball. (If the balls are not holding shape then you may used too much sweetened condensed milk.) You should be able to roll them into a ball without being to hard or to soft.
- Shape the mixture into one-inch balls.
- Place the 1/4 cups of fine desiccated coconut into a flat plate (You may not need the whole 3/4 cups so just fill the flat plate when needed).
- Roll the ball into the fine desiccated coconut.
- Store in refrigerator until your ready to use.
I made these for a hens night (and since the shape is not conventional, I'd better not post them!) They had the most raving comments! I actually didn't get to try them but all the girls who came to the party were amazed by this and everyone had a couple too many! Will be making this again for Xmas!
These have been a Christmas tradition in our family for as long as I can remember. They travel well when you need to "bring a plate" and are loved by kids and adults alike. For an extra surprise treat, you can form each ball around a glace cherry.
I had the same delicious truffles when I was younger and couldn't forget them! I was overjoyed when I finally found the recipe for them!! The recipe is great and easy, and not to mention fantastic tasting!