Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake is a bit of work but so good.
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
Coconut Pastry Cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 cups very cold whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 11 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (or use chips)
- 1⁄2 cup cream, plus
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9 inch springform pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cake flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oil, whole eggs and ¼ cup of water and stir in the flour mixture into the oil mixture until the batter is smooth.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they hold stiff peaks.
- Stir ¼ of the whites into the batter to lighten and then fold in the remaining whites.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove cake and let cool.
- For pastry cream: Scald the milk with the vanilla bean.
- Scrape the seeds into the milk and discard bean (or rinse it, let it dry and plant it into a sealed jar of sugar. In time youll have sugar with a vanilla fragrance.) In a bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup of sugar, flour and egg yolks.
- Whisk the hot milk into the yolk mixture, a little at a time, and whisk for 1 minute.
- Pour into the pan and bring custard to the boil, whisking constantly, for 1-2 minutes, o until it is thickened.
- Let cool, uncovered, and chill it, placing a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the hot custard to prevent a skin from forming.
- Beat the cream with the remaining 2 tblsps sugar until it holds stiff peaks.
- Fold 1 cup of the whipped cream into the pastry cream, reserving remainder, and fold in 1 cup of coconut into the pastry cream as well.
- Make chocolate sauce: Simmer the milk with the chocolate, stirring, until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the cream, butter and sugar and simmer, stirring, until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Keep sauce warm, covered.
- Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers with a serrated knife.
- Spread ½ of pastry cream on top of bottom layer and top with second layer.
- Spread remaining pastry cream on top of second layer and top with third layer, cut side down.
- Spread whipped cream on top and side of cake and sprinkle with coconut.
- Serve with sauce.