Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A bread recipe straight from Haiti. Prep time is an estimate as I haven't tried this recipe yet.
- 4 cups flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups coconut (Grated)
- 2 large eggs (Beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (Melted)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together into large bowl.
- Stir in sugar and cocunut.
- Beat in eggs, milk and butter.
- Add water, stir well.
- Divide dough into two greased loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees.
Great recipe. Just like my Mom use to make. I added raisins.
Excellent recipe! My husband and all of my co-workers love it. Only thing is that it does not cook in 1 hour. I've made this recipe 3 times now, and it always takes about 1 hr. and 45 minutes--and I use 2 loaf pans.
This bread is absolutely delicious. I even substituted splenda for half the sugar and it turned out wonderfully. It has somewhat of the same consistency of cornbread, but it tastes twenty times better. Thank you for a lovely recipe!