Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Crunchy on the outside and soft and gooey in the center. The zesty lime topping contrasts wonderfully with sweet coconut.
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 cups coconut, dried sweetened shredded
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 lime, grated rind of
- 3 -4 teaspoons lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line two baking sheets with baking parchment. Putt the egg whites, dried coconut, sugar, vanilla extract and flour in al arge heavy pan. Mix well.
- Place over a low heat and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure it does not stick. When the mixture becomes the consistency of thick oatmeal, remove from the heat.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture in rocky piles on the lined baking sheets. Bake for 12-13 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on the baking sheets.
- To make the topping put the confectioners sugar and lime rind into a bowl and add enough lime juice to give a thick pouring consistency. Place a spoonful of icing on each macaroon and allow it to drip down the sides.