Recipe by VickiAk
I found this recipe in Family Circle magazine and made them for Christmas. They where fun to make. No peeking! If you open the oven while baking the will collapse. My first batch, I peeked.
Top Review by Outta Here
A nice low-fat, low sugar treat. I have had a similar recipe before, but not with cocoa. Nice addition. Also liked the addition of the cinnamon. As you can see from my photo, I need to work on my "drizzling" skills. :) Made for Fall 2009 PAC.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 chopped semi-sweet chocolate baking squares (1 oz. each)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 250. Line two large baking sheets with nonstick foil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder and ground cinnamon. Place egg whites into the mixing bowl, add the cream tartar.
- Begin beating egg whites on low speed. Increase the speed to medium and add sugar mixture, one tablespoon at a time, until medium-stiff peaks form.
- Transfer mixture to a large pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe onto prepared baking sheets. Bake at 250 for 1hour, 15 minutes- do not open oven door. Turn off oven: let meringues sit in oven at least 1/2 hour, then remove baking sheets from oven. Carefully remove to cooling racks. cool completely.
- Place semisweet chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 1 minute, then stir until smooth. Transfer to a small plastic bag. snipe off a corner. Transfer meringues to a sheet of waxed paper. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Let dry completely. Enjoy!