1/1 Photo of Cocoa-Berry Shortcakes
The rich-tasting banana cream filling for this recipe would also make a tasty dip for a variety of fresh fruit. Taken from the "Quick, Healthy and Delicious Cooking" cookbook by BH&G.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 large banana, peeled and cut into chunks (ripe)
- 1/2 cup frozen fat free non-dairy topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 3 cups fresh strawberries
- 1In a large bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder.
- 2Cut in margarine till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3Make a well in the center; add skim milk all at once.
- 4Stir just till dough clings together.
- 5Drop in equal portions onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 6Bake in a 450 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- 7Cool slightly on a wire rack.
- 8Meanwhile, for banana cream, in a medium bowl mash banana with a fork until smooth. (You should have about 1/2 cup).
- 9Add whipped topping, yogurt, honey and nutmeg; stir till smooth.
- 10Reserve 6 berries for garnish; slice remaining berries.
- 11To assemble, split cocoa biscuits in half crosswise.
- 12Set tops aside.
- 13Arrange strawberry slices on bottoms.
- 14Dollop about 2 tablespoons of the banana cream mixture over sliced berries on each biscuit.
- 15Top with the biscuit tops.
- 16Dollop 1 tablespoons of the remaining banana cream on top of each of the assembled shortcakes.
- 17Garnish with the reserved whole strawberries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cocoa-Berry Shortcakes
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.8
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.9 mg
- Sodium 161.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 17.1 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen fat free non-dairy topping