Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
The rich-tasting banana cream filling for this recipe would also make a tasty dip for a variety of fresh fruit. Taken from the "Quick, Healthy and Delicious Cooking" cookbook by BH&G.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1 large banana, peeled and cut into chunks (ripe)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen fat free non-dairy topping, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 3 cups fresh strawberries
- In a large bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder.
- Cut in margarine till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center; add skim milk all at once.
- Stir just till dough clings together.
- Drop in equal portions onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for banana cream, in a medium bowl mash banana with a fork until smooth. (You should have about 1/2 cup).
- Add whipped topping, yogurt, honey and nutmeg; stir till smooth.
- Reserve 6 berries for garnish; slice remaining berries.
- To assemble, split cocoa biscuits in half crosswise.
- Set tops aside.
- Arrange strawberry slices on bottoms.
- Dollop about 2 tablespoons of the banana cream mixture over sliced berries on each biscuit.
- Top with the biscuit tops.
- Dollop 1 tablespoons of the remaining banana cream on top of each of the assembled shortcakes.
- Garnish with the reserved whole strawberries.
Made this for dessert tonight, and it was delicious!! Very easy to put together while dinner was in the oven. Wish there was more than 1 serving leftover! We'll have to try to split it between ourselves for breakfast in the morning! : ) Will definitely make this again. LOVED it!