Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Served in a coconut shell this version of creme brulee is from the Cooking Club of America and looks simply amazing. It would be perfect for a summer party, perhaps a luau. I have not yet had the opportunity to make it myself so i have no idea what the prep time is. *mini blowtorches can be found in department stores and gourmet kitchen shops. a regular blowtorch can also be used.
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 1 vanilla bean (halved lengthwise)
- 1 cup sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- 4 coconuts
- Heat oven to 325*F.
- Place 13x9 in. glass baking dish in shallow roasting pan.
- In large heavy sauce pan, combine cream, coconut milk, cream of coconut, and vanilla bean.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; remove from heat Meanwhile, whisk 1/2 c.of sugar and egg yolks in large bowl until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in hot cream mixture.
- Strain through fine sieve into baking dish.
- Pour 1/2 in.hot water into roasting pan to create a water bath.
- Place roasting pan with baking dish into oven.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until just barely set but still quivery.
- Do not overbake.
- Remove from water bath. Cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Meanwhile crack coconuts in half with hammer.Work over a towel.
- To break a coconut into equal halves tap the shell with the claw side of a hammer along an imaginary line going around the middle.
- After 10- 20 taps the shell should break in two.
- Reserve coconut water (milk) if desired.
- Just before serving, spoon custard into coconut halves.
- Smooth top of mixture with top of spoon.
- Sprinkle 1 tbs of remaining sugar in thin layer over filling in each coconut.
- With blowtorch, caramelize sugar.
- Serve in shallow bowls.