Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This classic version of Waldorf is my family's favorite; not terribly sweet with a strong flavor of apples. Add more sugar if you wish; also, you can use any type of apples but I prefer Granny Smith both for their taste and their crunch.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 granny smith apples, cored and diced (leave peel on)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In the bowl you plan to serve the salad in, stir together mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice and salt.
- Then stir in apples, then celery.
- Cover tightly, and chill at least 1 hour so flavors will blend.
- When serving, remove from fridge and remove cover; sprinkle on walnuts and serve.
Very easy and very good! I loved the combination of the apples, celery and nuts. I made it the day before, and it held up beautifully in the refrigerator! It was a success at my sister's bridal shower today! Thank you for sharing a great recipe!
Yummy! My variations: I used 2 grannys and 2 small red delicious, toasted pecans, and Miracle Whip. Very good!