Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Excellent served with fruit as a dessert, or as a cake to have with coffee or tea
- 2 tablespoons sugar, to line the loaf pan
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease well or spray a 12x23cm loaf pan with non-stick baking spray. Sprinkle the sides and base with the 2 tbsp of sugar, shaking out the excess.
- Beat eggs until pale and fluffy. Slowly, a spoon at a time, add the sugar. Add the vanilla and fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Pour into the prepared tin and sprinkle a little extra sugar over the top and bake for 35-40 minutes until the top is golden brown and crunchy.
- Cool loaf on a wire rack. Slice with a serrated knife when cold.