Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe I got from a newspaper a couple of years ago. Its very versatile you can try using cilantro, mint or marjoram with the basil. Great on pizza, pasta, bruschetta, stirred into scrambled eggs or frittatas. Freezes well in ice cube trays.
- Combine and whirl basil, parsley, pine nuts and garlic in a food processor until chopped.
- Add cheese gradually pour in oil processing until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a small bowl and cover in plastic wrap, pressing the wrap on to the surface to prevent browning.
- Use within a week or freeze.
I make pesto several times a year because I got tired of buying it in the store and we seem so go through it so quickly. This was my second batch of the season (the first one I used all parsley!) and I have to say I like the basil taste the best. I planted a whole bed of basil just for pesto. Made for ZWT7.
Here's to a robust herb garden and may basil snails never darken your property line. Made for ZWT7 Herb Challenge.
A very nice pesto. I quartered the recipe and used it for Tomatoes Roasted With Pesto(Tomatoes Roasted with pesto). Thanks! Made for ZWT 2011-Italy.