Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
this is the real deal -
- 4 lbs corned beef
- 6 carrots, quartered
- 2 turnips, diced
- 8 small onions
- 6 potatoes, quartered
- 1 head cabbage, cut into wedges
- Peel and cut each of the vegetables.
- Put slab of corned beef into a large pot [5-7 quarts] and cover with cold water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium or medium-low and cook very slowly for 4 hours.
- Remove meat.
- Bring stock to a boil; add carrots, turnips and onions; cook for 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Add potatoes and cook another 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook for 15-20 minutes more.
- Shred the corned beef [or slice or cube it, as desired] into bite-sized pieces and put it back in with the stock and vegetables.
- Heat thoroughly and serve.