Recipe by Rebecca Downey
Found in the Barilla Celebrity Cookbook, this is a very fancy grilled mozzarella sandwich with a classic seasoning. There are a wide variety of versions of this recipe, mostly differing in their spicing. I've made it a few times. Replacing the cream with 1% milk does work, but it takes slightly longer to cook off the additional water.
- 1 lb fresh buffalo mozzarella, cut into 4 equal pieces about 3 inches by 4 inches
- 8 slices firm white bread, 1/2-inch-thick
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 teaspoon salt
- nutmeg, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the mozzarella pieces on 4 slices of the bread.
- Cover with the 4 remaining slices of bread to form sandwiches.
- Trim the crusts off to make perfect 4-inch squares.In a wide shallow bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add the cream, thyme, salt and nutmeg and whisk until well blended.
- In a 10 to 12-inch nonstick sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat until smoking.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and cook until the sizzling subsides.
- Dip 2 of the sandwiches into the egg mixture, turning to coat, place in the pan, and cook until golden brown on the first side, about 2 minutes.
- Flip over and brown on the other side.
- Transfer the sandwiches to individual plates and repeat the process with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon butter and 2 sandwiches.
- Cut in half and serve immediately.