Recipe by Toby Jermain
My wife found this recipe at www.catfish.com about 10 years ago, and we haven't fixed it any other way since. This is about as simple as it gets.
Top Review by piranhabriana
Yes this is DEFINITELY the ONLY way to eat catfish - this was delicious! I wouldn't change a thing! I just wish fresh catfish was cheaper where I live so I could make this more often! :-)
- 4 farm-raised catfish fillets
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- olive oil, for pan frying
- tartar sauce or lemon wedge, as accompaniment (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse fillets, and pat dry.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a shallow dish.
- Dredge catfish in flour cornmeal mixture, pressing on breading so it adheres to fish, and place on waxed paper.
- Fry catfish in a large skillet in about 1/4" of hot oil (about 350 degrees F) until golden brown on both sides, about 6-8 minutes total.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.