Recipe by J. Hinds
This is a recipe I modified from Bon Appetit'. It's great to serve to a large crowd, yet it definitely tastes gourmet.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 chicken breasts, with bone-in
- 8 large chicken thighs, with bone-in
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups pearl onions
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lbs button mushrooms
- 1 lb carrot, peeled,cut into 1/3 inch thick slices
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 3 (750 ml) bottles dry red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch the pearl onions in boiling water for 2 minutes and then peel.
- Set aside.
- Place flour in medium bowl.
- Working in batches, coat chicken with flour; shake off excess.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoons oil in each of 2 heavy large pots over medium high heat.
- Add chicken in batches and cook until brown, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes per batch.
- Transfer chicken to bowl.
- Add half of onions, thyme, parsley and bay leaves to each pot.
- Saute until onions are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add half of mushrooms, carrots garlic and brandy to each pot.
- Cook until liquid evaporates, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pots.
- Return chicken to pots.
- Add 1 1/2 bottles of wine to each pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover; simmer until chicken is cooked, about 40 minutes.
- (Can be made up to a day ahead. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and chill. Rewarm over medium heat before continuing).
- Using tongs, transfer chicken to large shallow serving bowl; tent with foil.
- Bowl cooking liquid in pots until thick to coat a spoon, about 20- 30 minutes.
- Spoon sauce and vegetables over chicken.