A rich and tender bread. Easy to do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- 2In bowl of heavy-duty mixer and using paddle attachment, combine yeast, sugar, salt and 1 cup (250 mL) of the flour.
- 3Add hot water; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- 4Reduce speed to medium-low. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 5Gradually beat in 2 cups (500 mL) of the remaining flour.
- 6Add butter, a few pieces at a time, beating until completely incorporated.
- 7Gradually add remaining flour to make very sticky soft dough.
- 8Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free spot until doubled in bulk, about 3 hours.
- 9Gently deflate dough; cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or for up to 18 hours.
- 10(Dough can be frozen for up to 2 weeks; thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours before proceeding.).
- 11Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface.
- 12Using no more than 1/2 cup (125 mL) flour to keep hands floured during shaping, gently knead dough into ball.
- 13Divide into quarters. Roll each quarter into 12-inch (30 cm) long rope.
- 14Divide each rope into six 2-inch (5 cm) pieces; cut 1 of the pieces from rope into 5 equal lengths.
- 15Shape all pieces into balls, making 20 large and 20 small.
- 16Place large balls in 20 well-greased brioche moulds or large muffin cups.
- 17Using scissors, cut X in top of each.
- 18Snuggle small ball into each X.
- 19Stir egg yolks with water; brush over brioche.
- 20Cover lightly and let rise in warm draft-free spot until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- 21Bake in centre of oven for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- 22Let cool slightly in moulds on racks.
- 23Remove moulds; let cool completely on racks.
- 24(Brioche can be wrapped individually and frozen in airtight container for up to 12 weeks.).
- 25Canadian Living.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Brioche a Tete
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.2
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 109.0 mg
- Sodium 385.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 5.9 g