Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Chef Henry Archer Meer of the Manhatten restaurant, City Hall.
Make and share this City Hall Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb penne rigate
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups grated American cheese
- 1 1⁄3 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°; butter a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Bring 6 quarts of salted water to boiling; add in the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, 9-10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cream, milk, cayenne, and nutmeg over medium-high heat; reduce by half (the author says about 15 minutes but I don’t know); once the mixture starts to simmer, stir to break the layer of foam so that it will not boil over.
- Lower heat to medium-low; add in the American and Monterey Jack cheeses; whisk until well blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the penne to the sauce; stir vigorously (taking care not to break the pasta); this will release starch and help thicken the sauce.
- Transfer mixture to the baking dish; combine the panko, parsley, and parmesan; sprinkle over the pasta.
- Bake 15 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Whoooooo, is this wonderful! Made a White sauce first from Half and Half, butter and flour...then followed the recipe to a "T"...Yummo!