1/2 Photos of Citrus and Cumin Roasted Chicken
1 hr 40 mins
The orange and cumin flavors give this chicken a real Mediterranean feel. Try to find fresh oregano, it just doesn't work with the powdery dry stuff. If you can't get oregano sprigs, go for thyme or tarragon, but always use fresh.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Remove the zest from 2 orange wedges and 2 lime wedges and set aside.
- 3Rub chicken with juice of those wedges.
- 4Season the entire chicken, including the cavity, with the cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Inside the cavity, place the used orange and lime wedges, plus 3 orange wedges, 3 lime wedges, 2 cloves of garlic and 3 sprigs of oregano.
- 6Place a small roasting pan over high heat and add the oil.
- 7When the oil smokes, place the chicken, breast-side down in the pan.
- 8Sear, rolling slightly for even browning, until the breast is golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- 9Remove the chicken from the pan, slip a flat rack on bottom of pan, then place the chicken on the rack, breast-side up.
- 10Add the stock, remaining garlic cloves and a couple more sprigs of oregano to the pan.
- 11Squeeze the juice of the 7 orange wedges and remaining lime wedges into the pan, adding the juiced wedges to the pan as well.
- 12Roast until the chicken juices run clear when the leg is pieced near the joint, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- 13Check the moisture in the pan a few times while cooking, adding chicken broth if the pan juices are drying up.
- 14Transfer chicken to a warm platter, and allow it to rest for 20 minutes before carving. Remove the fruit wedges, oregano and garlic from the pan, then place the pan juices in a small saucepan.
- 15Bring to a simmer over medium heat, taste and adjust seasoning, adding more orange juice from the remaining wedges if desired.
- 16Remove from heat and add the reserved zest. Carve the chicken and serve with the sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Citrus and Cumin Roasted Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 614.4
- Calories from Fat 386
- Total Fat 42.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 157.0 mg
- Sodium 237.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 41.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: