Prep 96 hrs
Cook 0 mins
By request, here are those old fashioned Red Hots Pickles...
Make and share this Cinnamon Pickles recipe from Food.com.
- 2 gallons prepared cucumbers, peeled,ends removed,cored and cut into rings or sticks (measure after slicing)
- 8 1⁄2 quarts water
- 2 cups pickling lime
- 1 tablespoon alum
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 ounces red food coloring
- 10 cups sugar
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 8 -10 ounces red cinnamon candies
- Prepare the cucumbers: peel, removed ends, core, and cut into rings or sticks.
- Combine water and lime.
- Soak prepared cucumbers in lime-water for 24 hours.
- Drain and wash 3 times in cold water.
- Cover with cold water and let sit for 3 hours.
- Combine alum, vinegar, 2 cups water, food coloring, sugar, cinnamon and red hots to make a syrup.
- Add drained cucumbers and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Let stand overnight.
- Drain off syrup, reheat and pour over pickles daily for 3 days.
- Pack in hot jars and seal.
I remember Nanna making these RedHot-ickles!!! A sweet spicy treat for hot summer days when the tar sticks to your bare feet. Thanks for posting!!!
GATTA LOVE 'EM!!!!! Definitely worth all the effort and time. EVERYONE loves these. I didn't do the boil and soak for 3days, and only did it the one time and they are marvelous!