Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is an easy sweet potato recipe that has a little spice and some citrusy brightness.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half (or milk)
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (or up to 1/2 t, depending on your taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger (or up to 1/2 t, depending on your taste)
- 1⁄2 large orange, juice of (approximately 1/4 C)
- salt and pepper
- Lightly oil the sweet potatoes and roast them in a 450 degree oven until cooked through, 30 - 50 minutes. Set them aside to cool.
- When the sweeet potatoes are cool enough to handle (but still warm), cut them in half and scoop the flesh from the skins into a mixing bowl. Discard skins.
- Add the butter, half-and-half, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and orange juice to the sweet potatoes and mash until the sweet potatoes are smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Oh, this was exceptionally good. Served this at Thanksgiving dinner, but will definitely have it again, during the rest of the year! I must admit, I did cheat a little. Instead of using fresh sweet potatoes, I did use canned, but followed the rest of the directions exactly. Thnx for sharing your delicious recipe, Spice Boy. Made for My-3-Chefs 2009.