Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Food & Wine. These would be great with a cup of hot chocolate.
- 1 2⁄3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla-flavored soymilk or 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- granulated sugar, for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350° and position 2 racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour with the baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, salt and black pepper.
- In another medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. A.
- dd the brown sugar and maple syrup and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the soymilk, then beat in the dry ingredients at low speed.
- Roll tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls, then roll them in the granulated sugar.
- Arrange the balls about 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and just set; shift the pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through.