Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mom always made these at Christmas.
- Toast filberts in shallow pan at 325, 10 minutes.
- Beat egg white until foamy.
- Add sugar and cinnamon gradually and beat until stiff.
- Add nuts and mix well.
- Melt margarine in shallow pan.
- Spread nut mixture over butter.
- Bake at 325 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Store in airtight container.
Very easy ~ with a light cinnamon flavor. My filberts were already dry roasted so I skipped step #1, then made as written, but reduced oven temperature to 300F after the first 10 minutes because I felt they were browning too quickly . Baked a total of 35 minutes. For Fall Rookie Recipe Tag, tagged 9/19 Due 10/3.
I adore "munching" nuts and always have bag's of them around the house. This is a yummy use for hazelnuts. Very easy and delicious. Mine were raw so I took the tip from the previous reviewer and baked them at 300 for about 45-50 mins. Another recipe that would be perfect for winter holidays as well as general snacking. Made for Culinary Quest 2014.