Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
this is a lovely vegan dessert that was passed on to me. I havent made it, but Ive tried it. Definitely a delicious dessert :-)
For the cake
- 8 ounces tofu
- 2 cups sucanat (or some other granular sweetner)
- 3⁄4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the Glaze
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sucanat (or some other granular sweetner)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- freshly ground nuts, for garnish
- cinnamon, for garnish
- First you will want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, To start the cake, oil a 10- or 12-inch springform pan and then lightly duest it with a bit of cocoa powder.
- Using an electric mixer, blend tofu with Sucanat on low speed until mixture is the consistancy of a paste.
- Increase speed and beat until the tofu mixture is thoroughly blended and mixture is shiny and the consistency of thick syrup.
- At this point, your sucanat will not be dissolved, so do not worry.
- Next, add oil, water and vanilla to tofu mixture, beating until thoroughly combined.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cream of tartar, and cocoa powder.
- Blend sifted dry ingredients into liquid mixture.
- Pour batter into your prepared spring-form pan and bake until tester inserted in center comes out clean, which should be approximately after about 40-50 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and cool completely.
- To prepare your glaze: Take out a small saucepan, and combine all ingredients in it except the vanilla.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is shiny and completely smooth.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil, then immediately remove it from the heat.
- Stir in vanilla and let cool 10 minutes.
- Stir vigorously before using.
- To put the cake together,Remove sides from pan.
- If it is necessary, you can slice off the top of the cake to make sure that the surface is even (may not be necessary), but make sure you have an even surface.
- Next, invert the cake onto a rack set over a pan.
- It is important to have this pan under the rack, as you want it to catch the glaze that drips.
- Remove pan bottom from cake.
- Now, carefully pour the glaze evenly over top of cake, allowing some to drip down sides also.
- Use a knife or spatula to spread glaze around the top and sides of the cake, keeping as much on the cake as possible, and then transfer it to a serving platter once you are finished.
- Decorate by pressing ground nuts into the sides of the cake, and sprinkling the top and sides with cinnamon.