Recipe by Aunt Cookie
This is really, really good with apple crisp or pie. You'll need an ice cream maker to prepare this recipe.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 16 whole cloves, crushed
- 8 large egg yolks
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the milk, cream, 1/2 cup sugar, and spices in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat, cover, and allow to steep for 1 hour.
- Whisk egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl.
- Bring milk to a simmer again. Gradually whisk the milk in to the egg yolks; return to the pan.
- Stir over medium-low heat until the custard leaves a path on the back of a spoon when your finger is drawn across it. Don't let the mixture boil!
- Strain into another bowl, and chill uncovered until cold, stirring occasionally (about 2 hours).
- Process in an ice cream maker, according to manufacturer directions.