Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Mmmmm good! No kneading and Butterscoth chips add a special surprise taste! Serve this warm sweetbread with hot drinks for a festive breakfast or with soup to make a substantial supper. It's yeasty but does not need kneading. From Camping Life magazine. Prep time does not include one hour standing time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x13x2-inch pan.
- Shake or mix cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, salt, yeast and 1/2 cup of cinnamon sugar mixture.
- In another smaller bowl, whisk together the water, oil and egg, and stir it into the dry ingredients until smooth.
- Cover and let stand for one hour.
- Mix in the baking powder and butterscotch chips.
- Put the mixture into the baking pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until it tests done.
- The top should be springy and the dough will pull slightly away from the sides of the pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Cut into chunks and serve warm.
Made these for breakfast this morning and they were so good! They taste like cinnamon buns without the gooey topping. There was a lot of cinnamon/sugar left over after sprinkling the tops so I melted some of the sugar and cinnamon and poured it on top (It formed a hard candy like topping). I was a little worried when I was spreading the dough into the pan because of the consistency.... but it worked out wonderfully! I really could not see eating these with soup as they are more of a dessert or semi sweet breakfast bread .... but so tasty! Thanks!