Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Slice into 1 inch pieces for an appetizer or larger for main dish! The original recipe calls for mustard. I left it out because I don't care for it. After the review I decided to add it back in.
- 1 (1 lb) frozen bread dough (thaw overnigh in fridge or 3 hours at room temperature)
- italian seasoning, to taste
- 1 lb danish ham
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 lb pepperoni
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced, sauteed in
- butter, and
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll dough into 12 X 18 inch rectangle on a floured surface.
- Spread mustard in a row lenghtwise down the dough.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning.
- Layer in a row lengthwise down the dough, the ham, parmesan cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese.
- Wrap dough around filling to make a loaf.
- Seal seams with water.
- Place loaf onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Spritz with water for crisper top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until brown.
this is not really a Stromboli, this is a calzone. A true Stromboli has the ham, italian sausage, salami, and MUSTARD, yes, mustard, deli style, lots of cheese and of course pizza sauce.
This is a family favorite! We vary the "filling" ingredients. Rubbing the top lightly with olive oil and then sprinkling with corn meal gives them a real take out pizza taste. Thanks LMiller RN!!!