Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
from Woman's Day. The cinnamon is typical of Cincy chili.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, cut into 1 inch cubes (5 cups)
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add zucchini and saute 12 minutes until lightly browned and tender crisp.
- Remove from heat and place in bottom of 2 quart baking dish.
- In same skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, 4 to 5 minutes until the,eat is no longer pink; drain off fat.
- Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and spices.
- Simmer 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour meat mixture over zucchini and stir to combine.
- Top with 6 mounds of mashed potatoes like dumplings and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly.
I used the yellow summer squash I had on hand instead of the zucchini. It turned out really great. It was easy to make and had a great flavor. I never used cinnamon in a meat dish before, so I was skeptical, but it gave it this great, interesting flavor. Loved it!