Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This pesto adds an assertive seasoning to soups, rice and dips. Add oil and broth and use it as a baste. The recipe has been adapted from: "the Ultimate Low-Fat Mexican Cookbook."
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups fresh parsley, stemmed
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, stemmed
- 4 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or 2 tablespoons almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
AS A BASTING SAUCE
- 1 cup broth
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients, except broth and oil, until well mixed.
- Store in a covered container.
- If using the pesto as a basting sauce, add the broth and oil.