Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Freshly pressed apple cider makes the best sorbet.
- 3 cups fresh apple cider (may use any unsweetened apple cider or apple juice)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- In a saucepan, bring the cider to a simmer.
- Add in the sugar and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and pour mixture into a jar or bowl; refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir in the lemon juice; freeze mixture in 1 or 2 batches in your ice cream machine by following the manufacturer’s directions.
- When finished, the sorbet will be soft but ready to serve; for firmer sorbet, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze several hours.
- *Cider Comfort Sorbet: add 1/2 cup Southern Comfort before freezing; proceed as directed.
- *Cranberry Cider Sorbet: substitute 1 1/2 cups cranberry juice for 1 1/2 cups of cider; proceed as directed.
- *Maple Cider Sorbet: substitute 1/2 cup maple syrup for 1/2 cup of the sugar; proceed as directed.
- Spiced Cider Sorbet: add 1 teaspoon grated fresh orange zest and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the pan along with the sugar; proceed as directed.