Recipe by yooper
I figured there are enough KFC recipes here that it's time Church's chicken grabbed the spotlight! Haven't made this, but I like the idea of first frying, and then baking the chicken.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup biscuit mix (such as Bisquick)
- 1 envelope dried Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 eggs, mixed with
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 cup corn oil
- 1 (3 lb) fryer chickens, cut up into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a 4-cup container.
- Mix to blend the ingredients thoroughly.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature up to 3 months.
- To use: Dip the chicken pieces in egg mixture and then into dry coating mix and back into egg to coat the pieces evenly but lightly and finally back into dry mix.
- Have oil piping hot in heavy skillet.
- Brown pieces skin-side down for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Use medium high heat.
- Turn and brown underside of pieces a few minutes.
- Transfer to an oiled or Pam-sprayed 9x13x2-inch pan.
- Cover pan with foil, sealing it on only 3 sides of pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Bake another 5 minutes just to crisp the coating.
- Serves 4.