Recipe by kit in NO
This is a lower calorie soup I created from what I had on hand. It can be heated with added milk or thinned with water. I have just discovered this is actually really good as a sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup parsnip, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomato puree, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 7 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy soup pot and add vegetables, garlic and dried herbs.
- Sauté until wilted (about 10 minutes).
- Add tomato products, water, wine, bouillon cube and sugar.
- Cover and cook for about 20 minutes (until boiling).
- Lower heat, uncover, remover bay leaves, and puree using an immersion blender being careful not to splatter and burn yourself.
- I like mine chunky, so I leave some chunks.
- Taste and correct seasoning (sugar, salt and pepper), if necessary.
- Substitute vegetable bouillon for beef for vegan recipe.
- Serve hot.