Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
If you make this pie with garden-grown tomatoes, you will think you are dining in heaven, this is so good!
- prepared pastry dough (to fit a for a 9-inch pie plate)
- 4 large ripe firm tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
- 591.47 ml old cheddar cheese, cut into small pieces
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 88.74 ml grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 29.58 ml flour
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 2.46 ml black pepper (or to taste)
- cheddar cheese slice, cut into strips
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Fit pastry into a 9-inch pie plate and flute edges.
- In a small bowl mix together the bread crumbs, about 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, flour and sugar.
- In a bowl toss together the tomato cubes, cheddar cheese cubes, seasoned salt and pepper.
- Add in the bread crumb mixture; toss until well combined.
- Transfer the tomato mixture into the prepared pie pastry in the pie plate.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese cubes melt and the tomato cubes are soft.
- Remove from oven and top with tomato slices, overlapping slices if necessary.
- Sprinkle the tomato slices with black pepper, salt and about 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese.
- Top with the cheddar cheese slices in a decorative pattern.
- Return to oven and bake for about 10 minutes longer.
- Cut in wedges and serve.
This is a great tomato pie! I like the way the panko mixture binds the juices of the tomatoes. The touch of sugar brings out the sweet of the tomatoes. The flavor is very nice. It would be great to add onions, green onions, oregano or other herbs.