Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Vegan carrot cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup apple juice concentrate (12 ounces concentrate boiled down to 8 ounces, or use prepared fruit juice reduction)
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups shredded carrots (5 medium carrots)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Position rack in the center of to oven and preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly butter and flour a 9-inch tube pan, tapping out the excess flour. Line the bottom of the pan with a ring of wax paper.
- Sift together the whole wheat pastry flour, unbleached flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt into a large blow and make a well in the center.
- In another bowl, whisk the fruit juice concentrate, oil, and lemon juice. Pour the liquids into the well and stir until smooth. Stir in the carrots, walnuts, and raisins. Pour into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean and the sides begin to pull away from the sides of the pan, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool the cake on a wire cake rack for 5 minutes. Invert and unmold the cake onto the rack, carefully remove the wax paper, and cool completely.