Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Removing fruitcakes from their pans can be difficult unless the pan is lined with waxed paper. This is my favourite fruitcake. It is filled with 3 cups of nuts, dates and maraschino cherries. It does not contain any fat. I use dates from the health food store which are dry and delicious. This is not too sweet or cloying. I make it all the time. Don’t wait until Christmas it is very easy and quick.
- 3 cups coarsely chopped brazil nuts or 3 cups walnuts or 3 cups pecans or 3 cups hazelnuts
- 1 lb pitted dates, coarsely chopped (about 2 full cups)
- 1 cup halved maraschino cherry
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, combine nuts, dates and cherries.
- In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into nut mixture until nuts and fruit are well coated.
- Beat eggs until foamy; stir in vanilla.
- Fold into nut mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased and waxed paper lined 9 inch by 5 inch by 3 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 300°F for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 24 servings. Cake will get softer overnight.
- Country Cooking.