Recipe by Sherrie-pie
A classic from Mrs Beeton's. This is the more usual recipe found in the UK. Because I prefer it, I leave out the suet - which makes it vegetarian - and add more brandy if it is too dry.
Top Review by Bergy
Easy, straightforward tasty recipe. I did not use suet, added brandy. I know the tarts will be enjoyed by all including my vegetarian friend. Thanks Sherrie-pie for posting this recipe.
- 0.44 lb cut mixed peel
- 0.44 lb seedless raisins
- 0.06 lb preserved gingerroot
- 0.44 lb cooking apples
- 0.44 lb shredded suet
- 0.44 lb sultanas
- 0.44 lb currants
- 0.44 lb soft brown sugar
- 0.11 lb chopped blanched almonds
- 1 pinch mixed spice (ground ginger, ground cinnamon)
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 orange, juice and rind of
- 2⁄3 cup sherry wine or 2⁄3 cup brandy or 2⁄3 cup rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince of chop finely the peel, raisins and ginger.
- Peel, core and grate the apples.
- Combine all the ingredients thoroughly in a large basin.
- Leave, covered for 2 days in a cool place, stirring occasionally.
- This prevents fermentation later.
- Pot, cover and label.
- Store in a cool dry place.