Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are so beautiful -- and delicious!
Make and share this Christmas Jewels recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup soft margarine or 3⁄4 cup soft butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups candied cherries, halved
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Combine flour with 1/3 cup brown sugar.
- Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press mixture firmly and evenly onto bottom of an ungreased 15x10 jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat egg slightly in large bowl.
- Stir in remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar and salt.
- Add salted mixed nuts, 1-1/2 cups halved candied cherries and chocolate chips.
- Toss mixture lightly to coat.
- Spoon fruit mixture evenly over baked layer.
- Press firmly to adhere layers together.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool, then cut into approximately 24 bars.
Lennie, another Christmas cookie hit! My jelly roll pan was slightly larger than your measurements shown so next time I think I will use a smaller pan, I would prefer a slightly thicker crust. The cookies are lovely though and they do taste great! Had trouble finding enough candied cherries so I used a combination on candied cherries and candied pineapple. I don't think it altered the flavor at all and if anything just added a little interesting twist! Thanks for sharing. Tweeky.
Lennie, you are right-these bars are beautiful. They also taste great. They will certainly add a nice touch to my cookie baskets. Thanks.
i love this, i add some chocolate chips too, usually a bit of white and dark. My kids eat them faster than i can make them.