Recipe by SaraFish
Fresh winter veggies flavored with seasoned oil and triple cooked. I named this Christmas Eggplant because it was my in-laws contribution to our holiday potluck this year and it was fabulous!
Top Review by Amy020
I made this yesterday for Christmas dinner and it is so VERY good! I made a few changes, but the integrity of the recipe is still intact. As I was cooking the veggies, I wanted more color, so I added a 2nd red bell pepper. The directions didn't say when to add the tomato, so I added them just before baking so they didn't mush down in the pot. The only major change I will make next time, and there WILL be a next time, is to cut the amount of oil in half to bring it down to 3 WW points per serving. I couldn't really drain any oil off the veggies because they had absorbed almost all of it. So, next time I just won't add so much. As is, the recipe is 5 WW points per serving, which is higher than I'd like for a veggie dish. This would probably also be very good with a dash of cayenne for a little spice. Yum!
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into chunks (10"-12-inch long)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 zucchini, cut into chunks (6-inch long)
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned dipping oil or 1⁄4 cup other seasoned oil
- 1⁄8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a big pot over medium high heat, add olive oil, garlic, onion, red bell pepper, zucchini, eggplant and Italian Seasoning.
- You may need to add more oil to coat the vegetables.
- Don't worry, you will drain most of it off later.
- Cook and stir until eggplant is tender.
- It will take 15 minutes or more.
- While still cooking, stir in Seasoned Dipping Oil, or other seasoned/flavored oil plus vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- After eggplant is tender, turn off heat and then drain the mixture of all excess oil and blot with paper towels.
- Spread mixture on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and then spoon into a casserole dish.
- Top with mozarella.
- It can be refrigerated at this point to be served later.
- Before serving, bake or microwave, covered, until it is hot (if it has been refrigerated) and cheese is melted.