Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a vegan remake of an amalgam of the other Chop Suey Bread recipe and the one I remember from Muffins and Quick Breads with Schmecks Appeal by Edith Staebler. I hope I find the cookbook again.
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup glace cherries, mixed red and green
- 1 cup mixed peel
- 1⁄2 cup crystallized ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 banana, very ripe and mashed
- 2 tablespoons Ener-G Egg Substitute
- 1 orange, juiced and topped up to 1 c with water
- Mix the dry ingredients . Mix the fruit in the dry ingredients and stir to coat.
- Mix the egg replacer with the banana and water then mix with the dry ingredients. Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 1/2 hours or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let sit 10-15 minutes before removing from the pan.