Chef #208121's Note:
From BH&G Diabetic Living. If desired use some extra fruit of your choice 9mango, papaya or kiwifruit0 to garnish
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar or 1 cup sugar substitute, see note
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice or 2 cups unsweetened orange juice
- 2 cups mangoes or 2 cups kiwi fruits or 2 cups red papayas, peeled chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lime peel or 1 tablespoon lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lime juice or 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional) or 3 drops green food coloring (optional) or 3 drops red food coloring (optional) or 3 drops orange food coloring (optional)
- 1NOTE: IF USING A SUGAR SUB-- use the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar--do NOT use 1 cup of sub. See directions on your package of sub. Amount of gelatin in BHG recipe is 1 envelope and is based on 1 envelope gelatin = 1 tbsp (15 mL).
- 2In med saucepan combine sugar and unflavored gelatin. Stir in pineapple juice. Then cook and stir until sugar [or sub] and gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- 3Place chopped fruit in blender and cover. Process until pureed.
- 4In large bowl mix puree and gelatin mix, buttermilk, lime peel and lime juice [or lemon if using]. Add the food color to tint if you are using it. Green for Kiwi, yellow for mango and so on. Cover this and chill 4 hours.
- 5Freeze in a 4 to 5 qt ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions for that freezer. Ripen for 4 hours if desired. Note: this is not essential but improves texture and prevents rapid melting.
- 6If desired garnish dish with chopped fruit when serving.
- 7IF you are using a freezer:.
- 8Prepare to cover and chill 4 hours then transfer to a 2 qt rectangular baking dish or freezer container. Cover and freeze for 4 1/2 hours to 5 hours or until almost firm. Then break into small chunks and transfer to a large chilled bowl. Beat with electric mixer on med speed about 2 minutes or until smooth but not melted. return to dish and cover. Freeze for about 4 more hours or until set firm.
- 9Please note this method will NOT yield the same texture as the ice cream freezer method.
- 10Servings based on 1/2 cup Time is for the freezer method not the ice cream freezer method.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Choose a Fruit Tropical Sherbet
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 86.9
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 18.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 19.4 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: