Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a terrific cake that I make whenever zucchini is cheap and abundant.
- 1 2⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups zucchini, finely grated
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- Beat the sugar, butter and oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in the vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add to the butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the zucchini.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with the pecans and chocolate chips.
- Bake 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean; cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares.