Prep 8 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This was a favorite cookie when I was growing up. Great if you have a chocolate craving. I have included the refrigeration time in the prep time.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- powdered sugar
- Combine oil, chocolate, and sugar.
- Add eggs to this mixture, one at a time, and beat well.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Sift flour and baking powder and fold into egg combination.
- Chill dough several hours or overnight in refridgerator.
- Roll into balls size of walnuts, then roll in powdered sugar.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet 7-10 minutes at 350° oven.
- If you like your cookies soft and chewy, bake only 7 minutes.
My Mom's recipe calls these chocolate crackles because of the way the cookie and powdered sugar look after baking. SG is right, they are sooo good for a chocolate fix. We make these every year at Christmas time - it's a must.
That sound very good. And i Luv chocolate and so does my family. so it seems good.
As I rolled these chocolate balls and coated them in white powdered sugar I wondered why they were called wagon wheels. After they cooked I understood!! How cute they are. Very tasty too. They make another great after school snack for my son (and me!) I also loved being able to mix the batter one day, and cook it the next - right before he came in.