Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Chocolate Velvet for energy during their hard day of work.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons arrowroot or 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 6 cups whole milk, divided
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 4 ounces white chocolate, chopped fine
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- chocolate shavings (optional)
- Blend sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and arrowroot or cornstarch in saucepan.
- Mix with 1/3 cup of milk.
- Cook for two minutes.
- Add the remaining milk.
- Add the two types of chocolate and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- When hot, fold slowly, take 1 cup of chocolate mixture and mix it into the egg.
- Temper the hot chocolate/egg mixture.
- Fold the egg mixture back into saucepan.
- Whisk until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour hot chocolate into a mixing bowl.
- Beat only the top to make it foamy.
- Pour chocolate into wide cups, garnish with shaved chocolate.
- Chill for 5 minutes and serve.